Sunday, September 12, 2010

Sewing Saturday- McCalls 5819 Done

I finished the McCalls 5819 shirt.  As a newbie to sewing there are so many first times for things.  I feel like I am not progressing at times but then realize that if I am doing something for the first time I shouldn't expect to do it as if I have done it for the 100th time.

There was a little frustration from the start with the pattern layout.  I just couldn't understand why they didn't have you cut a certain piece a certain way.  With sewing there are multiple ways to skin a cat and after I had analyzed it 20 times over I chose to skin it my way.  After getting all the pieces cut out I made the largest size it was still to small for Lani J.  She wasn't available  for mesearment but I was postive when we bought the pattern it was her size.  Oh well..we can try to alter some things for a better a fit.

I do like how the neckline sits though.  We both like the style of the shirt so it will probably be made again.  For future versions we definitely need to lengthen the shirt body, lengthen the sleeves and/or cuffs.


McCalls 5819

Hanging in the sewing room


McCalls 5819

A little snug and short? BTW that is Zoya Perrie on the nails.


McCalls 5819

Yes, this needs to be a bit bigger.



McCalls 5819

The back seems okay, in this picture at least.


Pattern Description: Hooded jacket A has exposed separating zipper and sleeves with bands; top B has raw edge finish at front neckline and casing, short cuffed sleeves and purchased camisole; top C has contrast sleeves and bands; shorts D, pants E have ribbed knit waistbands; pants E are below knee length; pants F have draped, ringed waistband. I made View C

Pattern Sizing: AX5(4-6-8-10-12), DD(12-14-16-18) I made the 12.


Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?Yes

Were the instructions easy to follow?They were okay. I did get stuck on the pattern layout for a moment.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?I like how the neck band sits on the shoulders.

Fabric Used:Joann Sew Classic Knit

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:I used one color for my top instead of using a contrast color.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?I will probably sew this again at some point making some alterations. My daughter said she would like thicker cuffs on the sleeve as well as the waistband. If I have enough fabric I'll go back and make those tweaks.

Conclusion: Cute pattern. Will tweak a little the next time around. You can do a lot of things with the neckline to give it your own personal flavor.

1 comment:

  1. Despite it being a little too short, you did a really good job! I love the neckline too!

    ReplyDelete